idols
I'm always at a loss when people ask me if I have an idol. I always feel a bit odd/pathetic for not having one. I compare it to ambition/fufillment in life. I really hope I'm not working in a cubicle in front of a computer 10 years from now. But then, what am I doing on this path?
Roberto Heras is a cyclist I revere and respect. When I read today that he had been suspended from his cycling team, I felt let down. Why? It reminded me of the disappointment when I heard Tyler Hamilton had been charged for blood doping, and David Millar stripped of his World Champion TT title (which I watched him win in Hamilton). In a way, do I look up to these guys? Is that why I'm disappointed?
There are plenty of people in my day to day life that I cannot help but admire and respect. From the crazy guy in his 50's in our club who will not only race back to back weekends, but even mutiple races in one weekend! He helps and encourages all of us with his experience, and used to train with his daughter (our age) for a year before she left town for school. Then there's the club prez who loves his job, loves tri but more importantly loves & spoils his family in a way that I can only hope to acheive in my future. I hope I can have that balance in family life.
Then of course, I have to mention 'becca. She has something in her I (and many other amateur triathletes) don't have and that's the ability to push hard for soooo stinking long during a race. ... are these people my idols?

2 Comments:
short answer is yes.
long answer is, you've answered your own question. :)
i think there's a difference between idol and role models.. (and models, drool, but that's besides the point). btw isn't there the first commandment 'thou shall worship no idol gods besides me' or something? (yes, me a heathen).
there's people i look up to all the time. first and foremost has got to be some parents; especially the ones who i interact with in my hockey teams and i talk to their kids, they play hockey with them; the kids are nice manners and very down to earth. There's even a grandfather-mom-son trio that plays in my mixed league on sundays, now i tell you, both mom and granfather are my heros. how cool is that, 3 generations on the ice playing contact sport hockey.
i also admire ppl who know what they want out of life; perhaps it's been a pain in mine to 'decide' and figure out. live without regret, meaning they had to pre-emptively think it through, decide what they want, go for it and achieve it. (deviline you've always wanted to be a doctor and now you ARE one and you've married one too for good measure!!! i've never doubted your ability to achieve your dreams)
Post a Comment
<< Home