My car got broken into tonight!!!
So I'm meeting some people for dinner in Chinatown. I find this perfect spot right in front of Place d'Armes metro station, at the corner of St-Urbain and Viger. This is around 6:30pm. 4 hours later, after dinner at Beijing and cider at Second Cup, I come back to the car...
I notice that my glove compartment is wide open. Things seem a little out of place, but everything was there, including my car registration and insurance papers. I remembered that I had left a couple of burnt DVDs on the passenger seat, but they were gone. Yes, burnt DVDs. So not a huge deal. I look around and check inside my ash tray, where I put my quarters for meters, and it look quite full, as it should. Even the umbrella that I leave behind my seat is still there. So for the first 15 seconds, I think that all I really lost were a couple of DVDs that I already had copies of. No biggie.
Then it hits me. I had played golf last Friday and had left my golf bag in my trunk. I lean over to pop the truck, open the door and start walking slowly towards the back of the car... I look inside the trunk... it's empty. Those bastards took my shitty 150$ set of clubs. Counting the golf balls, various accessories, golf shoes and the bag itself, that was maybe 500$-600$ worth of equipment.
I check around the car, and I see no signs of how they actually got into my car. No scratch marks that I can, then again, it's 10:30pm, so I can't really see right now. I know for sure that I locked my doors before I left it. It's almost as if someone had used a spare key.
It's not the monetary value of the items that frustrates me... but it's the invasion of privacy that kinda scares me. The person or persons who got into the car, looked inside the glove compartment and could have noted my name and address. They could have my address!!! anyway. dunno how much sleep I'll be able to get tonight...
oh. those DVDs were meant for Amy. It was copies of Cowboy Bebop and Napoleon Dynamite. I guess I should have given them to S.N. when i had the chance...

6 Comments:
Well, that blows. Did you file a police report? (I'm asking cuz I don't know) Its odd that they knew you had golf clubs in the trunk but hey, at least they were cheap clubs. I find it amazing how I know people who will leave their 4000$ bikes on their roof rack in public. I think I read somewhere that most of those remote car fobs are a joke in terms of security (kind of like garage door openers) So its possible they used that as an entry... check this out http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/29/national/29key.html?ei=5090&en=cc1104501a87d6d1&ex=1264741200&partner=techdirt&pagewanted=all&position=
by the way I wouldn't worry about theives coming to you. Most likely they were in a hurry, its not like they got your house keys so don't worry about it. Besides, they'll see your cheap clubs and figure you're poor anyway.
Yeah, I figure as much. I don't think they were in my car for long. I'd say at most 60 seconds. Maybe they did use a remote, or are really good with a slimjim. Because it looks like a really clean job. If they didn't leave my glove compartment open, I wouldn't have figured it out right away...
As for filing a police report, I did not. I figure, there's no damage on the car, the chances of finding my clubs are virtually non existant, and I'm not going to claim anything from insurance. I mean, I think my deductible is 500$. might as well just get a set of clubs and avoid my premiums going up.
anyway. it's just frustrating and an invasion somehow. I hate this feeling.
I can't believe they took the burnt DVDs you made for me!!!!!! @*$^&$(@$)
i hate that feeling, of wronged and just feeling like taken advantage.
I was very angry last year - people were stalking my dad from the wholesale place to our store, when he was unloading store groceries, they came by and swiped a few CARTONS of cigarettes!
Not that it was the end, they also followed him TO the wholesale places, on another day they followed him to his first stop, where he had a few cartons of cigarettes to return to another store. While he was in the first store, 15 minutes at most, the thieves broke into this car cleanly and took the cigarettes. The first store's security camera caught the incident on tape, the thieves literally waited a minute after my dad got out of the car and were gone within another 60 seconds.
What was scary was that this means some people out there were shadowing my family, and THAT is not cool.
holy crap. I didn't know that happened to your dad.
funny how this ties into your other blog entry, about how there are kindred people in this world... but there are also some that are very angry... the world is a not all pink flowers and white fluffy clouds...
Hummm...i don't know if i'm pissed someone broke into my brother's car or if i'm pissed that I had to find out through a blog...This blows goats.
Post a Comment
<< Home