Tuesday, September 06, 2005

does size 0 means you don't exist?!

this is weird... mostly because i have been known to have walked into a clothing store, look at the sizes of some skirt/pants, and asked the question "When 0 usually means nothing, and you see a tag saying 'size 0' - does that mean it's nothing and you shouldn't exist? and what does 'size 00' mean - double nothing??"

yesterday i was at the Great Mall, and lo and behold there's an Abercrombie and Hollister outlet. (i didn't think these stores even HAVE outlets given their endless ability to sellout 60$ plain logo sweatshirts) I tried out 2 styles of skirts... mind u i am not totally clueless that i've lost a bit of mass in the past months, however it never really hit me how much my body changed since i always felt like, well, once bootcamp stops and i don't train as much anymore, my body will likely bounce back to an equilibrium higher than my current body shape/weight. (as a personal policy i never weight myself - it's been a lifelong issue/struggle between my mom and me, like she says i'm fat and i try to feel i'm ok at my weight but invariably i think that she is right and i AM FAT and i will never look like the HK girls with their small hips and non existent bellies)

so anyways, there i was, trying on size 4 skirts, that were way too large. they didn't have size 2, so i tried on size 0, and doubtful that i was, they FIT. i almost fainted - or wanted to call my friend i was shopping with into the stall with me to confirm that i wasn't crazy.

i bought the skirts; i like the style and price, but if i never wear them again, they are the trophies that i fit into these at some point in my life (after childbirth when i am too fat, or when i'm 65 and saggy - i will flaunt these size 0 couture without abandon or guilt).

3 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

size 0. nice. Do sizes get smaller than that? There must be... There's a girl in our club who will definitely become an elite athlete (she was already on mcgill swim and looking to mcgill track this year) but she's the skinniest stick I've ever seen. And its not like she doesn't eat - she ate more sh-t than I could possibly stuff into my mouth at sugaring off. Nasty stuff. Lard, the omlette thing, ham, everything shoveled into her mouth... Anyway - I guess I just find it amusing how sizing for women's clothes seem completely random. Or maybe I should say north America. punks.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger hurc said...

It's funny that Men's clothing sizes refer to the ACTUAL size, like 30 inches or whatever, while Women's clothing sizes are just a seemingly random number. Anyway... I've opened a can of worms and hopefully won't regret it...

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

actual sizes? riight. That's why I can wear a size 30 nike swimsuit? I'm sorry, but I ain't that skinny. And suits; I'm technically a 38" chest yet some suits still look enormous on me. I think the North American market likes to lie to consumers to make them feel better about themselves. Honestly. Especially in sports clothing. Lately I wear Smalls in most tops and bottoms in brands like Louis Garneau, Sugoi etc. But the italian cycling wear, I'm a Medium or even a Large. Its ridiculous. Even among Louis Garneau clothing they have 3 different fits "pro-fit", "anatomic fit" and something like "casual fit". Its annoying! Anyway I'm just rambling. I'm too picky about my clothes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home