Saturday, September 03, 2005

so who was this gf?

So... as Amy so eloquently posted the ramblings between herself and her wingman... who was this girl hmm? mr.hurc? The two of you had an interesting conversation...

My weekend is being spent in Toronto - visiting my sis and racing in Guelph, my first tri of the season (mostly due to lack of motivation.) At least I decided my pseudo goals for next year as well as picking out some races. Definitely moving up in the distance scale. Gonna try a 1/2 Ironman next year. I can't race as hard as some of these kids! I have no idea how they do it, especially crazy nut 'becca. In one year she's managed to go from BOP (back of pack) to podium finisher. I'm blown away. And even though its split into age groups I have to admit, I think she's faster than me. Damnit I gotta get away so she doesn't keep asking me my times.

NO, man, thats a hot issue these days. The tri board I like to frequent has gotten nasty because of people's views. From people complaining "where's international help" to "we should let them all die". Its amazing how politics can get people so energized, yet many like to pretend apathy. All I can say is that I hope the people of the South finally realize to not vote for Bush ever again. This was a massive failure of local and federal government. As someone pointed out very clearly in the boards, what if this had been another 9/11? This shows the absolute incompetance of FEMA. I hope Americans wake up to realize their "National Guard" has been sent off to Iraq. The storm hit on the weekend. Granted, it takes a couple of days to get organized but it took until Friday to bring in supplies? What about air drops, what about the navy? amphibious vehicles? And finally, I think someone else pointed out the very sorry state of poverty. I'm sure many of these 60,000 people or so were at the wrong place and the wrong time; but it seems many of them were just too poor to get a bus/train/plane out of there.

I read a blog/email somewhere about a woman devastated that her husband had to stay in NO as a police officer. I wonder if he's still there now. The reports of civil disobedience make me think of "Escape from NY" and "Mad Max". People complain about why the local police aren't doing anything, but if they themselves have to supplies, let alone food & water, can you blame them?

Its interesting how I was widely unaware earlier this week since I hadn't seen the carnage on tv. But I can't imagine a country, especially after 9/11 who had no disaster recovery plans in place. Gee, NO, well populated, popular tourist attraction, under sea level and surrounded by water - when the storm hit, no navy ships were sent nearby? Local army supplies checked and resourced, etc. Anyway this is pretty heavy stuff for the morning, maybe I'll try to roll back into bed/sofa...

interesting interview - I hadn't seen the whole transcript until now.

on a lighter note, any of you seen www.simplyfired.com ?

oh right. this is a blog. I should rant... more. WTF is with the price of gas? As my friend and I left Montreal, we saw a gas station in st. laurent saying 1.47 As he was saying, as the prices of gas have been climbing I haven't really complained. But now its getting ridiculous. I'm taking the metro/riding my bike to work lately but I also don't see why I should have to pay probably close to 200$ on gas to get to Guelph and back this year. (Last year it was probably ~120$) Mind you, this trip is costing more as my friend is driving his subaru wrx which takes premium gas and it was really windy so the bikes on the roof rack were killing our gas consumption. (We did about 450km on 52L) Oh and of course even though it was sunny in mtl and Toronto, we ran into some nasty rain on the way. (So much for my bike being clean for the race -damnit) As I joked with my buddy, we should've rented a van - at least the bikes would've stayed clean.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger hurc said...

ugh. kinda a long story. I think I know I'm being played, but at the same time I can't completely keep away. I'm like one of those people that slow down on a frigging highway to see what happened to a car accident. DON'T SLOW DOWN!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

bad hurc. bad boy. Do I need to scold you like Linus who pulled my breakfast from the plate onto my shorts this morning? (partly my fault since I let the fat kitty sit on my lap as I ate.) I don't like people who slow down at accidents. I do the opposite. I speed up hahaha.

Being played - well, are you getting anything out of it? As long as there are low expectations, like Amy says, enjoy it for what it is. You never know what you might get out of it.

So much for starting the race feeling prepared. The ball of my right foot is a bit sore. (Go figure, I was sitting in a car all day) I guess this should give me even more reason to actually "race" Guelph to the point of blowing up. Part of the reason I'd like to do a sprint again for fun but...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home