running scared

I was going to post a picture of the silver snub-nose gun that is the basis of "Running Scared" but I ran into this picture on the walther website and it made me laugh so hard. Squirrels? haha. Maybe they should put a picture of Cheney. So, yeah, I just came back from seeing it. Another so-so movie. (I guess I should've gone to see Brokeback at Parc.) As usual, I wasn't too big on the ending but the movie does have its moments and "what-the-f..." scenes.
I've recently become addicted to provigo's home-made banana-chocolate muffins. Mmm... me getting nice and round :)

ps. I also rented "Howl's Moving Castle" from Ghibli Studios (ie. Miyazaki Hayao -yes, last name first, it sounds retarded when you say it the other way around) It was interesting up to a point (3/4?) but the ending was just silly. "Spirited Away", "Kiki's Delivery Service"(? Majo no Takkyubin) and "Nausicaa" are probably my favourites. Spirited Away's main draw was the Japanese mythical origins - and Nausicaa was a comic almost 10 years in the making (7 issues?). It was a fantastic world that he created. Maybe I'm just a crab but I also don't think that he is the "great master" as people tout. Yes, the characters and the worlds are fantastic but the stories are obsessed with
- people who get transformed (old lady, pig, cat, demon etc.) -who can't love
- war (blah blah blah, lets not do it)

4 Comments:
Haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle yet, but I usually make it a point to get every Miyazaki movie I can get my hands on.
I actually didn't like Spirited Away that much. it's one of the few that I don't fully enjoy. I found it to be a little... unfocused. We're too busy looking at all the stuff he crammed into the movie, but in the end, it didn't matter that much.
Maybe my standards are too high for his movies, as I found the plot to be much tighter in his older movies like Nausicaa, Laputa and even Castle of Cagliostro.
unfocused? "Spirited Away" is a story of a girl trying to save her parents and escape the world of ghosts & monsters. No?
But like I said, I probably enjoyed the movie more because the characters had a lot of Japanese mythology crafted into them. Same reason I enjoyed "Orion" by Masamune Shiro; the main character is the monkey god who flies around on his cloud (ie. Songoku/dragonball)
Now that I think about it, "Spirited Away" is like "Totoro"... ripoffs of "Alice in Wonderland"...
I finally watched Howl's Moving Castle, and I gotta agree with Mr Feisty here; it was really interesting up to about 3/4 of the way, and the ending WAS silly. Everything just seemed too convenient. You never fully understand how the spell/curse really worked.
I still think that Spirited Away was my least favotite Miyazaki movie. Maybe the whole point of that movie was being unfocused, how the main character would get side-tracked, and sometimes forget about her parents.
or how the spell was cured -actually yeah, so what happened?
the big fat witch put a curse on howl saying she'd get his heart right? which she does; calcifer, but why, and how does she time travel? (the dog?)
Post a Comment
<< Home