Monday, October 24, 2005

Self-deprecating humour...

What is your opinion on self-deprecating humour, ie people who make jokes about themselves, sometimes shamelessly but always hilariously?

I always thought that this type of person would have a very laid back view of the world, never taking anything too seriously, and always looking at the brighter side of life. This person would also be able to make light of embarassing situations that they find themselves in.

But what if the reason you always make fun of yourself is because you feel so uncomfortable in your own skin that you need to put yourself down somehow? Doesn't an extreme level of self-deprecating humour become self-insulting instead? Where do you draw the line?

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

I'm sure everyone has self-doubt, the *line* to speak of has more to do with how often you do it. Sure, I think I'm an idiot when I overwrite a file, I think I'm a fat sob sometimes, but I'm pretty happy with who I am...

on a sidenote: man I look like crap today.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Amy said...

i've been accused more and more of using my humor as defense mechanism. i think it's true, but it's hard to stop doing it, because it's easier to engender a friendlier confrontation if someone says something funny or punny.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger hurc said...

That's what I'm getting at. I think my own humour is a defense mechanism as well. And it annoys the heck out of me, when the moment the joke comes out of my mouth and I realize what I'm doing. Maybe it was done unconsciously at first, but then when you wake up to it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home