Monday, February 20, 2006

When did I become a hockey fan?

Seriously.
Yesterday I found myself glued in front of the tv with friends watching the horrendous Canada-Finland match where we lost 2-0. I was falling asleep, wasn't particularly comfortable, yet I had to see it to the end with some kind of desperate hope that Canada would catch up. They were far from it. I personally don't think much of the NHL, and I think that these "superteams" of NHL players is ridiculous. They SUCK. I'm not really hopeful for their other games.

By the time some of you read this, Team Canada will have hopefully won the women's gold medal in hockey. Its funny, yet sad how Canada is so dominant in this category. I always find it amazing how the women outnumber the men almost 10 to 1 in our tri club, but when it comes to racing season, we're probably about equal. Is it really the testosterone? Do women not have that competitive drive in sports? Its pretty sad if North America is the only place with equal opportunities for women in sports.

And whats with not starting Kim St Pierre? I heard that the assistant coach is from the McGill Martlets, hmm? Not that she's a student anymore...

postnote: USA got bronze in hockey. darn.

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger hurc said...

Although I find it great to see what kind of powerhouse team Canada can assemble using NHL players, I am totally OPPOSED to using pro players at the Olympics. The Olympics should only be reserved for amateurs.

If you want to see the best players play for their country, there are other tourneys that demonstrate this: World Cup of Hockey (the new name for the Canada Cup for those who follow), the World Championship (usually made up of pro players whose team don't make the stanley cup playoffs), etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home