Tuesday, November 15, 2005

meeting online

I was surfing around and decided to read some more into Joey's blog today. Low and behold - gossip. I was disappointed she didn't have a PG story for mr.hurc (who I must say is not blogging much these days -come on, tells us how you're feeling) but I was amused with the subject at hand, meeting people online. How many of you have?

If I'm not mistaken, of the most bizzare coincidences, I believe mr.hurc himself was initiated into our group of ex-marianopolites through the computer science servers. We somehow integrated this confused, nerdy, sit at the front of class fracophone into the brazen, studly, man that we know today. This is probably the one case in my life of an online relationship which transitioned succesfully into the real world.

On the other hand, for the sake of completeness, I will admit to my own dabbles at internet love. The first person that comes to mind was some girl I met on a BBS. (yeah, that's right, that's pre-WWW) Blah blah blah I ended up going to a high school dance at... ECS. That's right, the girls' school near Marianopolis, the same school we pass everytime we do a club workout on Summit Circle. To top my feelings of oddness (I was at Marianopolis at the time) I ran into a girl I KNEW at the school. (ie. I was embarassed as her parents sort of know me.) This girl took photos of me with nameless girl. There's evidence out there...

I remember being invited to a party by a fairly cute, older girl - but all I remember from that night was playing "bearball" on the street with a baseball bat and a stuffed teddy. (Maybe that's why I never heard from her/don't remember her.) Oh, oh, and I remember another one. I met this "person" on a BBS and we started chatting and then I realized that this person knew a friend of mine... with a login name "christy" or something I assumed it was a woman... NOOOOo not only was it a MAN, it was my friend's DAD! WTF!@*#&

What did I learn from experience? The world is too small. Men love to fantasize, especially by picking up other personas online (ie. women). If they send you a picture that's too good to be true, it probably is. Lavalife doesn't work. (Or at least not for me.) This isn't Cyrano de Bergerac, a woman isn't going to marry you for your words; its best sticking to meeting people the old fashioned way. First impressions are critical. I'm not Sherlock Holmes but clothes, mannerisms, appearance (clean cut, no gunk under fingernails, clothes etc.) say a lot...

7 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Joey said...

I'm glad my blog inspired you to write a long blog too. :)
How long did you talk to "Christy" before you found out who it was?

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger hurc said...

oh yeah... the old cs250 newsgroup. I remember thinking these Daichis (not a typo, that's the name he chose) and Zibalatz guys seem pretty smart... Maybe I should befriend them and copy their assignments... hehe.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

whats wrong with daichis? I don't remember how long I was chatting it up with "Christy" but it was long enough. Not sure if he ever figured out who I was - come to think of it, he might not know at all. I figured out it was the "dad" once he mentioned working for the "Suburban"... (which I knew was my friend's dad's occupation.)

gravy: you make it sound like hurc had no friends. He was coming from the french side, and I think there were some people outside of cs...

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Well, well, well,
Your dirty secrets revealed. lavalife...are you kidding me????
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people meeting on line and their relationships turning out, but I just can't get over the fact that SO many people do it.
It's a though people are scared of who they really are...I find it to be quite discouraging.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Deviline said...

one of my closest friends met her eventual husband online. my own romance leading to romance started with an email correspondence. went out on a date once with a guy that i met on the mcgill bbs. made more than a few friend on the shad bbs. so i just view the internet as a way to reach out to others, but for me, the relationship must move beyond e-encounters eventually.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

I think we can both agree the shady valley bbs was a little different. Fact is, most of us were nerds with similar educational backgrounds. I'll admit, there were two dudes in our camp who were downright WEIRD but overall, I got along with everyone. ie. its easy to meet people within the shady community. Speaking of which, did you ever sign up for their most recent attempts at record keeping? I don't think I ever did :P

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Amy said...

i've been meaning to add comments to this thread but just slips my mind.

back In The Days karen and i were on IRC a lot. i met a lot of friends including Stephen who's ange's friend in LA on IRC and online. i've even met a few of them face to face but haven't stayed in touch with most. my 2nd bf i had met online (back then it was so FAUX PAS to be meeting ppl online - what if they were pedofiles?!) but we were friends for 2+ years before we became more when i met him, and i made sure he wasn't IN the same city (in fact i'd only chat on IRC with ppl who are on the west coast, ensuring that a stalker would not be easily able to camp outside my house at a moment's whim)...

i've been told i'm witty and quick online and that i'm less shy. i don't think i'm shy, sometimes i think ppl wish i can be quiet and obedient! i like chatting with friends online because i am able to convey my funny puns easier than in real life. but nothing beats really spending quality face time in person to really build friendships and stronger bonds. i see online groups/sites/messenger as a means to stay in touch between meeting up face to face...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home