every tactic in the book...
work has gotten suckier cuz of the politics - i don't know what it is and why i get stuck. one theory is that i seem friendly doe-like easy target.
i had a conversation this morning for an hour in which i was insulted, praised, threatened (about not going to get promoted, in the foreseeable future) AND bribed in one sitting. (i had identified almost every tactic in the management/negotiation books) - in the end i was NOT bullied into taking the offered "shiny new and awesome opportunity" (which seems an eventual dead-end me right in between different jobs and not sharpen my skills in any one direction) - but i did exhaustedly let the other person allude to that i was nervous and scared and irresponsible for my own career growth. i also had another conversation where i had to explain my bug count again, and really i am not excusing myself, but i have a valid reason for everything i've done (or not done).
i've been caught in the turmoils of politics here, and i don't know how to untangle myself. i can either do what i feel right in my job and perserve my integrity (quality over quantity) - and suffer the consequences of being told i'm not a superstar, that my contributions widespread across organizations and teams does not help my immediate organization (like numbers would). or i can play by their rules, their little game, and stop writing needed tools and documentation that i think is necessary not only to have smarter ppl working in the company, but also a personal growth for these folks to still be able to LEARN something rather than just go through the motions withuot understanding.
maybe i'm too idealistic. many times i am forced to choose between my work integrity and the carrot they try to dangle in front of me. i don't care about the carrot, most of the time i just want to make it easier for my manager not to have to defend me all the time, so i give half an effort on finding the bug numbers they want. in the end, i have to live with myself, and i want to perserve as much of my own work ethics as possible. maybe this is shooting myself in the foot type of career move, but at least i know i am better than just numbers.

1 Comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have many co-workers who do stuff like you do, extra work, extra scripts etc. which are applauded but when the time comes, these initiatives barely get noticed. I for one, haven't put anything more than necessary since I have seen so many lose their jobs, their pensions etc. without a care in the world. We're all pawns, and the sooner you realize that and play "their" game, I think the safer you will be. Heck, I'm surprised I lasted this long - (got my notice today) but I have no regrets. There was nothing I could've done to keep my place. The main option I must consider is whether I would like to stay with triple hot-dog or not. (ie. moving to the USA) Most people tell me that I should take this opportunity - but I really don't care for it. sigh... The other option is working for "support" but that would involve a lot of travelling which really wreaks havoc on training. I have to decide how important working is compared to my tri endevours. Talk about screwed up priorities.
As my co-workers joke, I'm a "yes" man. I don't bother fighting, I just accept it. I may not do a good job of something I don't care for, but at least I know I don't have red stars next to my name on the HR files like some people I know. Its who you piss off that's important when getting let go. Unfortunately this time, 80% of my department had to go so, at least I know it wasn't personal.
Post a Comment
<< Home