asian parents
I've got some time to kill so why not. How many of you actually have a relationship with your parents? I can only dream of having the closeness that 'becca has with both her parents. Good or bad, the first person she wants to call after winning a race, or feeling miserable are her parents. She tells them almost everything. Its really weird.
And yet, at the same time I still haven't told me parents about my bike (and injuries), the car (damn tree) or even this whole job situation. I assume my mom knows how happy I am with 'becca etc. The other day, my mom called to see if I was alive, and I had to call her back as I was already on the phone with my sister. I call back, and (surprisingly) my dad picked up. He knew I was gonna talk to her all I got was a "she's in the shower" and then I was like "ok"...
I'm looking back since I rented "Shower", a Chinese story about a father who runs a bath house and his relationship with his two sons. One who is mentally challenged, and the other "successful" one who left to go to the "city". I have been lucky in my life, with my dad being able to get past his illness over the years - and recently, with the death of my aunt (his sister) I know that as much as he jokes about dying, it will come sometime. How do I talk to him? There are many things we differ on but at the same time, there's so much I don't know.
For instance, (did I talk about this with some of you?) How many of you know the history of how your parents hooked up? Got married? (Heck, I don't even know where, or when, even an anniversary - and don't say "cuz you're a guy". Neither does my sis.) I've never been exposed to much about "them". I don't see the affection the way people do here...
Last week I ran into a childhood friend's mom. She was really happy to see me, as was I. The girl and I were never close, but I remember her mom, always being around, taking care of us. I thought about asking for her number but at the same time, where do I start? Its not like we were close before? She's just one of those very small links I have to the past... I suppose having children helps. The mother seemed really happy about having grandkids and was telling me my mom was probably really sad that I moved out of the house.
Anyway, I might as well end this by saying I've only talked to my dad once. And I mean really talked. It was fascinating - but getting to that point took a lot of fighting, which I don't need to relive. I know I'm supposed to respect him, and some are even to be treated like kings, or "Masters". I dunno...
just rambling. Going to my parent's tonight. I'm sure the conversation will end once the news/tv does. And back home I will go, without knowing any more about my parents lives than I already did.

3 Comments:
i've been meaning to response to this blog entry, but yesterday was shitty at best...
my relationship with parents have changed over the years too. before i left for Vancouver internship for 8 months, my parents and i had a non-asian type of relationship for a while - i'd joke and they'd laugh and we'd all really get along.
after my 8 month stay there, things got reshuffled back to normal.
2 summers ago when i went home, after yet more "you need to lose weight, you're way too fat" crap, i had a "talk" with my mom saying, i know how i am, i'm fine with myself, if i go to the YMCA every day that i'm home in Montreal, you need to stop harassing me, because i LIKE the way i am, and I'm ok with it."
after that my mom got mad, and my dad got sad that my mom was hurt. since i went home in June, my mom's stopped calling me. i think i owe her money, but she doesn't TELL me or REMIND me... it's one of those "you should just KNOW and if you don't know i can't tell you because obviously you should KNOW better"
i've been distant with them, and it makes me sad. i don't know how to fix it.
taking a walk... my dad does, and I used to walk with him fairly regularly. I'm not sure how much he goes out these days. If anything, both of them are walking much slower now. (My dad used to be one of those super fast walkers, always tiring us out when we were kids.) Now that its getting "cold" I doubt we'll be walking outside anytime soon.
Its interesting how some families deal with money. My sister and I have the problem/blessing that our parents believe we are poor. We always have to fight over who will pay a bill when we go out, and my dad still insists on getting us stuff. (ie. last x-mas? I think he was telling my mom that we were bad kids because we wouldn't tell him what we wanted.) Then we've got this interaction like with Amy's folks, and I've seen others who have had to pay rent or make offerings of some sort.
I guess I should clarify that the bigger problem is my dad. I can somewhat talk to my mom (I don't tell her everrrything) but I can be open and comfortable all the time. She chooses to ignore subjects too. Maybe I should go see "Proof" hahaha. My dad does weird cryptic things. For instance, he called my sister Monday night after I left. He wanted to thank her for the coffee table book she had me bring (about people with massive book collections/libraries in their homes). Of course, he had some kind of dumb remark (my house isn't big enough) etc. Anyway he just starts babbling (even though I was on the other line) and he won't listen. Then he asks my sister if she received his "letter". Now you're probably thinking, "that's nice". No, its not that kind of letter. It was an eveloppe with a newspaper clipping about a cat show. No notes, nothing written on the paper, just the clipping. (My sister was like ... ???) I guess he's trying to reach out (the way gravy's dad hadn't realized how much you're into photography) but its mystifying. He's asked to come to watch me race, but at the same time I know its a bore to watch. I dunno... maybe I'll do a sprint sometime just for fun. I'm also used to him not being around (even though we did have some good years when he would practice baseball with me, batting cage, playing 'catch' etc.) ... and its pretty nerve racking at any race; I don't need the extra pressure of watching/guiding my parents around...
Very interesting post.
I have never really been close to my parents, and I don't foresee any change anytime (soon, or period).
Put me and my mom in the same room, and you can start a fire. A forest fire that burns down acres of forest.
And hello to whoever reads this. Long time no see/talk/chat.
Post a Comment
<< Home