Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Vancouver Follies - chapter 1a: there is a song...

i might be long-winded (haha, can you imagine otherwise), so i figure i'll break my thoughts on the trip down into chapters.

here's a bit of background; i've been feeling pretty disgruntle about work, and being sick every few weeks sucked. my friend W told me about her upcoming trip to Seattle/Vancouver she had planned with 2 girl friends... i was so excited, sending them info about where to go and eat, and she invited me along... afterall they already planned the trip, the car rental, the hotel - having 1 more along just means they get to split the cost further without having to change any plans. i've never made a frivolous rash decision about a trip - perhaps it was the codeine cough syrup at night and the constant hacking cough i had, and the many days of nyquil-sleep cycles, i decided to buy a plane ticket to go along.

but even as wednesday night approached, i was still sick as a puppy - coughing, coughing and more coughing. i could not last a 10 minute stretch without a coughing fit. i was really close to saying, forget the money spent on plane ticket, i'll just forego and stay home - why put more stress by travelling when sick?!
but in the morning i felt ok, and since i had already spent 2 weeks sick at home, i said screw it, i'll recover in vancouver

the plane ride to seattle was uneventful and quick. i let the 3 girls (W, C, and S) sit together since i didn't know C and S, and i was having coughing fits i figured i should go and spread my germs to others.

but the most memorable moment of the trip at that point has got to be after the plane landed, and we're taxi-ing into the terminal. the Southwest crew came on the intercom and sang. to the barney song originally lyric-ed: "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..."

rewritten by the crew (feel free to SING-ALONG): "I love you, you love us, we are faster than the bus" *shocked, i almost fell out of my chair. i look around to see if ANYONE ELSE can hear this, maybe my congestion was enhanced by the flight so bad that i am now hearing things in my head*
i mean, they put in effort, because they even managed to work the lyrics "after flying 7 times with us your 8th trip is free"!

2 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

ug I hate those singing airlines... SW, and WestJet...

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Deviline said...

I also hate singing airlines. These are the fools that I'm supposed to rely on if the plane crashes. Certain jobs require a certain amount of decorum. Imagine if your doctor sang as he was telling you bad news. Or somebody breaking into song in a court hearing. I don't suffer fools easily, but I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Give me serious-faced, non-singing, competent flight staff any day. BTW, do you remember JetsGo's distribution of green happy faced lollipops and buttons as the plane was landing. I didn't like that either, and look what happened to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home