Wednesday, October 12, 2005

bench press...

how much should u be ABLE to bench press, anyway?

as i recall, i think karen had to benchpress her own body weight, as a fitness test for the dragonboat team... really??!?!?!

was at the gym at lunch with mary and cal, who spotted me. i hadn't remembered the last time i bench press, so just the 'feat' of doing 3 sets with the 45lb bar was enough for me. that's not even HALF my weight (see, ok, i weight MORE than 90lbs!!! surprise!!!) - but i felt like strong-man at the bench press, because it's like the holy grail of the gym equipments. you can even hear the huff and puff sound in the background and the aura of light surrounding the bench press. maybe that's just me.

i'm kinda afraid that i may never get back to the gym again, tomorrow's last day of bootcamp round 2. it'll be too unpredictable weather to have another bootcamp; but i need the public mocking/peer pressure/encouragement/obligation-guilt to push me to the next level. on the trail runs, i would say to myself (quietly, in my head): "just jog until the next shaded area... look so-and-so can do it... AHAH I lied, just jog until the NEXT shaded area..." (yeah, i have strange thoughts in my head ALL the time. and i lie to myself. it's a good thing most ppl don't have insight to it...)

i know i am at the best shape of my life right now, i'm afraid of what goes up must come down... nooooo.... the pain of starting to workout when you've let that go for a while.... overcoming the mental block of being diligently going to the gym 3 times a week when there's no real obligation to do so; no group missing you and asking about u making u feel bad you skipped it. no one to press me to go jogging (which i still hate)...!

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Amy said...

is lying to yourself ok, if the end justifies the means (getting yourself to do an extra 2 minute of jogging, treadmill, etc)??

speaking of fitting into clothes, i'm ever in a delemma. i JUST bought nice stuff from Montreal over the summer, even those are oversized for my body right now. like i've said before i want to wait till my body's stablized before buying clothes, but the clothes i have i feel so ugly in them. but i end up spending lots more money buying fitting clothes.
and now i realize the small size are always sold out first, damn you small women out there, damn you!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

congrats on feeling the best in your life - I've started on that downward spiral since I got banged up. I feel like I've gained 10lbs in the last few weeks.

Don't you watch Stacy & Clinton on "What Not to Wear"? If you want to look good, you gotta get what fits "now". Not in the future, not in the past... (and yes, I do like the show)

I've always been puzzled by the way you guys deplore running. I hate it for the physical pain (ie. pace work - 12x800m etc.) But I love long easy "fun" runs. You get to be at peace with yourself and the world. Just run in a nice park and see the beauty of nature, the other runners, the sky etc. My favourite coach once told us, if you can't hold your breath for 10 seconds while running "easy" (without gasping for air at the end) you're going too hard. With the exception of some freaks, I would guess most runners only do 10% of their weekly mileage at a hard effort. By running easy, you're trying to teach your body to be more efficient, fire off slowtwitch muscle fibers, and use up the fat in your body and energy stored in the muscles. Any time you're going aerobic or anaerobic, you're burning 50-80% carbs which does not help burn fat. As I've said time and time again, find something you enjoy (ie. hockey?) and stick with it. If you don't like running, what makes you think you'll still be doing it 5 years from now? (ie. not losing your shape)

Oh and one last thing, that extra 2 minutes on the treadmill is pointless, especially if you have to push yourself somewhere you don't want to go. You're just opening yourself up to injury.

Bench press? don't even remind me. The last time I lifted the big plates... too long ago. Our physio buddy Mike says its overrated anyway.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

dude, what pace are you going at? Maybe you're taking it too easy? I don't know anyone who LIKES track workouts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home