Tuesday, August 23, 2005

another potential beginning

so... a few weeks ago, i went to the Mickey place to meet my friend for lunch (i will explain why this reference later in this post). I fell in love with their company - mind you, it's not just the fridge FULL of Naked Juice in the visitor's lobby, or the fancy leather massage chair (worthy of Sharper Image), or the cool glass-pane-monitor that scrolls 'real time' search strings that impressed me... they had me at Free Food... ! All my life my motto of "will work for food" might come true!

So, JM came to pick me up from the visitor's lobby - me, mouth-dropped in awe. Continued to be awed as we go 'round the campus, the day was hot and the game was sand volleyball in the court amidst the bldgs. Of course, being a hot day, a few of the players went 'skins'. Then we entered the cafeteria... stalls of food, endless food, people milling in different lines... There was the asian food stall (one of the specials were clams!!!), the pasta stall, the grill stall, the sandwich stall, the mexican stall, the salad stand... fresh fruit, dessert table of hand made desserts, and 6 fridges full of fancy expensive water/drinks. JM said to me, it's like Disneyland for adults. (get the Mickey reference now?!). I drooled as I bumble along to get some steak and risotto for lunch.

The food was pretty good (much better than at current place, a decent restaurant quality food) - AND FREE! but more than that, the campus was buzzing with excitement that day. It could be accredited to that I was there at lunchtime when free-food would make most anyone excited. But really, the culture was young, enthusiastic, energetic. I was impressed with the peeps. I was enthralled. I was in love. I thought, I WANT TO WORK HERE, this is why i'm in california.

So since then i've given my resume to JM, and had to answer a few essay questions (from her pespective, how does she know me, what are my strengths and weaknesses). Weird thing is, i finally got her all the answers wed night, so she emails to let me know she'll put it in the system asap. the next morning I got a voicemail from this lady who said "i was told you can help me with a project; this is time-sensitive information, can u call me back..." I call back, and she asked me a few questions and asked me for a copy of my resume, so i asked her how she got my info. She muddled about how when you work with someone they recommend others who are really good... so i saw JM at the rink and had dinner with her after our game, she told me she HADN'T entered me into the system yet... so WTF..

JM looked up that lady who turns out to be a recently hired temp recruiter at the Mickey place. I got an email yesterday, a staffing person wanted to talk to me, called me today and asked me questions about what i'm looking for, what platform am i familiar with for scripting, am i rusty, what do i do, etc. So now i have a technical screening coming... I'm a bit anxious because in the past experience depending on the luck, some engineers aren't very approachable or open. Hopefully i will be able to come across as strong as I feel (at times).

cross your fingers for me...

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger feistydaichi said...

well that's pretty cool. The perks definitely sound sweet. Don't judge a book by its cover though. I think your team/people interaction are really important. I was definitely most miserable when I had a crap team and a crap manager. At least now I'm happy (was) with the team; supportive, smart, easy to get along with etc. I can't imagine going for a technical interview these days; I'd be lost. Heck, most of the internal postings we have now I have no idea what most of the requirements they mention are...

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Amy said...

it's a bit scary to get back into the interviewing process. It's been almost 2 years since my last one.

it's good and bad, definitely gives me some room for improvement and things to think about; also reminds me that i'm not entirely too rusty about the etiquettes and the process as i had thought. great my mananger walked by as i typed this so i had to change screens he must think i was slacking off...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home