Monday, October 02, 2006

why i love the bike


Saturday was one of those days where I was reminded how much I love biking. When I was younger, it was my ticket to freedom. I'm sure there came a point in all our lives where we felt over protected, and exploring new paths with the bike was exciting and liberating for me.

I have my independance now so this doesn't ring true anymore, but I was really happy on Saturday. When I ride, I have to admit that 90% I don't think about what I'm doing. It is second nature to me. But being alone, not having ridden my race bike in a while, everything seemed to go in slow-motion, in rhythm. Every time I turned, it occured to me how my arms did not move, but rather, my body would naturally shift weight to one side, and let the bike follow. At times, I'd try cornering harder, emphasizing the weight put on my arm on the outside, and it was so incredibly smooth - it was free flow.

The ice breaker bridge leads people to a beautiful hidden island stretch of 10km, completely closed to cars. My newly found connection to my bike gave me the confidence to ride no hands in an aero tuck. One of our coaches often did this, telling us how we should be able to ride like this but I never had the courage to try it. Amazingly I was able to do it, while keeping a smooth, fast pedal stroke well into the 80~90s. I think I even got lower than my usual position and it made me feel great about myself, despite my lackluster summer.

This isn't the first time I've experienced euphoria on the bike - and it questions the motivation to train. Does one have to train or race to enjoy biking? Maybe I'm one of those old guys who just loves long century rides. Maybe I should get a classic european commuter style bike and just ride. But then, I want to get faster - I want to beat the rich snobs, the fat guy wearing the size XXXXL Discovery jersey. Or must I race now because I'm still young? When am I allowed to sit back, strap a panier on the rear and climb the alps? (ok, that's a bit of a dream but when I hear stories of old grannies riding up Mt.Lemon in Tucson, AZ every week - I can't help but hope that I can be as healthy when I'm older.)

Maybe it was the cool weather, maybe it was the fall foliage, maybe it was the sereness of the island (much fewer bikers outside now that its getting into the low 10's). I don't know, but this is the reason why I ride a bike. This is the feeling I wish some of you could understand when you ask me why I do the training that I do. Its for these days, these moments that everything comes together and its not a workout, its just a feeling ... that I'm happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home