no bake?? NO BAKE??
well after being the ambitious cooktrying to conquer the crème brûlée i wandered into Williams-Sonoma tonight (love that store, i think unmarried people should have a registry anyways and not have to get married to get presents from their wishlist!!!)
in any case i was shopping for risotto rice (i ended up ruining my risotto because i didn't realize i had no wine at home so i just used more chicken stock and now it's overly salty and i'm trying to save it by adding in frozen peas and going to caramelized some dice onions tomorrow to mix it in, but i digress)
in any case, loved looking at everything, then i picked up what looked like a soy milk off the rack sort of packaging... it claims to be acrème brûlée mix; which is not uncommon. but the instructions on the bcak facinated me - no bake? WHAT??? after slaving and forcing myself to be precise and meticulous with my baking, i found out that there is a known alternative to the traditional way of making this lovely dessert - in fact, the non-baking version seem to be more creamy and velvety smooth!!!!
grrrrrr
really i wanted ot shell out the 9$ for this miraculous mix that promises me a carpool-lane-shortcut that skips a tedious step for this impatient girl. however, i thought, getting home so late and still cooking risotto from scratch was ambitious enough; and that it would be delusional for me to have the energy to attempt to make a dessert as well.
ok so i sit here after i'm done cooking, with the barely edible (but potentially savable) pot of risotto, and i can't get the crème brûlée out of my head. a bit of Googling revealed that the 9$ would have been overpriced since i had all the fresh ingredients at home and could make the no-bake version perfectly fine on my own.
so tomorrow i will attempt this amazing featof no-bake crème brûlée. in the meantime i am sharing the recipe because i think this is very me - the shortest possible path to make something that is classic. elegant, tasty and presentable to the public, if need be. (think Rice Krispy Squares commercial where the mom chills in the kitchen and last minute sprinkle herself with flour to pretned hard work when delivering the treats to her kids)
No Bake Creme Brulee
All the cooking for this version is done on the cooktop.
Servings: 6
I N G R E D I E N T S
3 cups heavy cream
2 vanilla beans
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 tablespoon white granulated sugar (for top)
I N S T R U C T I O N S
Split each vanilla bean lengthwise. Place cream in a medium heavy-bottomed pan, scrape vanilla bean seeds into the cream (use a sharp-tipped knife) then add the beans and heat until bubbles begin to form at edges of the pan. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes to infuse the cream with the vanilla flavor.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until pale and thick. Strain cream and vanilla with a fine sieve and pour into egg yolk mixture. Cook, without boiling, over low heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat and divide evenly among 6 large ramekins or custard cups. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours, until set.
Prior to serving, sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over custards and brown with a kitchen torch or under the oven broiler. Refrigerate until serving.

8 Comments:
you're obsessed.
williams sonoma is great but overpriced. I can find some of their stuff in ethnic stores for much less.
for trinkets in Canada, I like http://www.ashtongreen.com and Ares near Sources is HUUUGE and has a great selection of beautiful knives. hint: I could use a wusthof santoku for x-mas... 6-7 inches sounds nice
i have a 5 qt round cast iron french oven from Le Creuset, it's the only real pot i own that i cook with (i own a non stick wok/pan and a pasta pot) - i love it. i've been eyeing the 2 qt smaller round version of it so i can make more than 1 dish and use it for smaller dishes. drool. i buckled and bought a baking dish in their citrus yellow color which is a beautiful gradient of a warm yellow.
citrus color: http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/color.php?color=Citrus-36
drool. although i notice they don't make the 2qt in citrus anymore, but kiwi and flame are both beautiful.
Amy, you're evil. Why do you tempt me with Creme Brulee? You know how obsessed I am with that?!?
Bellagio here i come!
I'm going to eat a creme brulee as my apetizer when I eat there.
"Life's too short, eat desert first"
You are making me crave for creme brulee. I used to buy them at Premiere Moisson for about $3 (incl reuseable ramkin) just across the street from our old place. Yummy!
I too share the love of cooking... :) Time is what I have (well, for now at least)... Hand mixer is what I don't have, that's why I haven't baked since I moved here. I can't wait to move my hand mixer from Montreal, then I can start baking. If I decide to make creme brulee, I'll remember to invite you over for taste test ;)
Ares is a FANTASTIC kitchen store off the 40 West at Sources (behind Golf Town and 40Westt steakhouse). It has everythng you could possibly imagine. I've spent many hours in that store...
ares has a great selection. I can't say much for the service though. Then again, the guy at Wilfrid&Adrienne around my corner seems a bit like a jerk too. Love the cutting boards at the fancy kitchen shop on Laurier near St.Urbain
as for the lazy arm... my mom never owned a mixer or a food proc etc. Just use your arm muscles!
Ah, yes! Les Touilleurs on Laurier is gorgeous! http://www.lestouilleurs.com/
Post a Comment
<< Home