movies, etc
ok, i finally got around to watching
Xmen 3... i liked it, but didn't LOVE it, perhaps because i can't quite related to the Jane character as much. it was interesting to all the characters' storylines move forward; however, given that one of my fave characters disappeared early in the movie... well...
Superman Returns - liked this one a lot, actually saw it on the curved Imax and on regular screen. Definitely both have advantages and disadvantages, but i liked it better on Imax. besides the fact that i thought Lois made a bad mother (who brings their kid to work? where's the expensive but snotty nanny?!) i actually like the story, and i thought the actor was good.
The Omen (original). yes i know the new one came out 6 - 6 - 06 (pretty clever) but i'm not big for seeing horror movies in the theatre, unless i'm there with ppl who are passionate about that genre. i saw 28 Days Later which was a great movie but hella distrubing, and i was distrubed all the way home. The original Omen was good, although i really fault the movie trailers industry, because almost all the main scenes were shown in this summer's remake trailer. Other than that, the Omen was less 'scary' than i thought; i had thought it was going to be more gruesome and graphic, perhaps like The Exorcist.
i also bought Waiting and The Aristocrats, which were supposed to be decent. it's hard buying movies - if i've seen it, and liked it, chances are i might watch it maybe 2 more times if i owned it. if i hadn't seen it, how do i know i might watch it more than once?! do i really NEED to own the movie? how often have you gone back and watched a movie?
being a freak, the only movies i've ever watched over and over are: Anne of Green Gabels and the sequel to it. Nowadays i pop a random DVD from Gilmore Girls series when i'm home... other than that, no movie's made an impact where i've watched it more than 3 times.

2 Comments:
Superman on Imax rocked! It was a little distracting to put on and take off the 3D glasses though. Admittedly, the 3D scenes were cool to watch but to me, they looked a little too fake. I guess because the movie wasn't meant to be 3D.
As for buying movies, I used to buy lots of bootleg dvd from a store in Richmond Hill in TO, but they have since been shut down. Now, I've discovered the joys of buying previously viewed DVDs from Rogers Video or Blockbuster. These are great! I never pay more than $10 for a movie, and they are guaranteed to work. My latest purchases were buy 2 get 1 free: Ice Age, Pride and Prejudice, North Country.
I am not one to watch movies more than once with rare exceptions being: Sound of Music (I could watch this a hundred times!), Anne of Green Gables, anything with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, anything Audrey Hepburn.
Superman was... mediocre. Maybe it was one of those movies that I set my expectations too high for. Surprisingly, the one thing I thought would suck - LoisLane/Kate Bosworth I was ok with. (A lot more than Katie Holmes in Batman ... YUCK) I guess I just miss Christopher Reeves too much.
I guess I'm pretty different from the two of you in terms of buying movies. They mostly fall in two categories: 1. movies I really liked and will watch over and over (ie.ronin, batman begins, bourne) 2. films I will never see anywhere else. Includes restored movies (ie. criterion), music videos/concerts, and tv shows that aren't in syndication. (transformers, robot chicken etc.)
cheap dvds at blockbuster are always impulse buys - its always fun going to the one near my parent's place though - people there have no taste; the less popular good stuff is on sale :)
Post a Comment
<< Home